Product: Jabber / XMPP
Q. Why should I use Jabber / XMPP?
A. Jabber is an instant messaging system.
Jabber has many benefits over MSN and other IM networks:
* Open/published/sane protocol (hey, its XML)
* Protocol is an IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) standard
* No single owner
* Many clients and servers means no lock-in
* Since its open, programmers have and can build add-ons
* Group chat, user directory are installed and working. Other cool features available.
* Each company can run a server -- like email
* Each company's servers can talk -- like email
* No advertising banners
* No spam messages
* Less chance of eavesdropping (SSL to server and end-to-end PGP available)
* No logging of messages... guaranteed
* When you are in your company's office the server is very close -- not in Redmond, WA -- fast!
* Only a few users on your server so you don't have to be joe3455. Pick any id you want.
* Virus free. (Unlike MSN)
* You know its the right thing to do
There is a Jabber server <--> Microsoft Network (MSN) gateway but it is not
presently installed here. If you want to chat with people on MSN and Jabber
please try a multi-protocol client.